In the 15th Century, the Plague, also known as the Black Death, was responsible for killing millions of Europeans- almost 60% of Europe’s entire population! While so many homes were unprotected due to ailing families, burglars took full advantage of the situation. Homes were robbed, the ill were pick pocketed, and the dead were stripped of all their valuables. The interesting thing, observed by law officials who finally caught a few of the robbers, was that the thieves did not contract the Plague themselves. They continuously touched the sick, rooted around in contaminated homes, and exposed themselves to the extremely contagious virus yet remained healthy.
Their secret? A blend of essential oils rubbed on their bodies. The oils used were clove bud, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, rosemary, tea tree, and lavender. Legend has it that the thieves traded their secret blend of oils for a lighter sentence for their crimes. Their blend of oils is still used today and has been proven by Weber State University to kill 99.99% of airborne bacteria when diffused into a room. In 2006, the University of Manchester published research regarding the effectiveness of essential oils on MRSA, a major problem in hospitals around the world. The essential oils used in thieves oil destroyed MRSA 100%.
You can make your own “thieves oil” or you can purchase it online, and there are several different ways to use it!
- Diffuser– You’ve probably seen oil diffusers for sale at Bath and Body Works or other stores. Instead of diffusing chemical-filled, toxic fragrances, put 20-30 drops of thieves oil in the diffuser and let the calming, healing oil fill the room
- All Purpose Spray- Fill a spray bottle with 8 drops of thieves oil and add 8 oz. of water, shake well. This spray is safe to use on all hard surfaces, anywhere that is sticky, grimy, or needs disinfecting
- Massage oil- Use thieves oil to rub onto sore body parts, or just use it as a relaxing massage oil. Make sure to dilute it in coconut oil or some other carrier before using on skin!
- Sore Throat Remedy- Add 2 drops of thieves oil to a glass of water and gargle
Thieves Oil Recipe:
There are several different variations of thieves oil recipes, but here is one to get you started
- 40 drops of Clove Essential Oil
- 35 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 15 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
Mix all oils in a glass bottle and shake well before each use!
Where to purchase thieves oil:
We recommend using Young Living Essential Oils. Click here to check out their site!
Essential Oils Warning
* Keep out of reach of children and pets at all times
* Do not use if you are pregnant or breast feeding
* Never leave oils burning with candles or diffusers without supervision
* Patch test oils on your skin before using on a widespread area. You also may want to consult with your physician before ingesting any essential oils
* Some people experience a rash or burning sensation when using Thieves Oil, probably due to the cinnamon oil. If you do, discontinue use immediately
*Make sure you are using oils that are made specifically for therapeutic use. Cheaper oils found in some stores are not safe for ingestion
By Courtney Perry